In 5th class this February we completed our Global Water activity as part of the Water Explorer programme. During our ‘A Day in the Life’ activity, we experienced the daily challenges faced by people in the struggle for water. We discovered that different countries use different amounts of water and we all use water in different ways. We learned that in Ireland we are very fortunate to have easy access to water but some countries are not as lucky as we are. We investigated the impact this has on people and came up with some interesting water saving tips. Here is some of the information we uncovered:
- In India collecting water can be a huge struggle. People are forced to walk to pumps and queue for long periods of time in order to collect water. Water can be contaminated and pumps frequently dry up due to the hot weather.
- We learned that in Ghana, West Africa, the people’s water source is the White Volta River. People have to travel long distances to reach the river and have to carry large volumes of water back to their families. Often people become very sick from drinking this water as it contains bacteria and germs.
- In Uruguay, South America, we learned that many people have to pump water from a well to a water tank on top of their homes. These tanks are often controlled by a cord and great care needs to be taken to ensure they don’t overflow!
- Lack of adequate access to clean water has a huge impact on the lives of people living in these countries. It impacts on their health, their education and the amount of time they can spend with their friends and family.
We realised how lucky we are to have such easy access to clean and safe water and we pledged to do our utmost to save as much water as we can. Here are some of the ways we aim to save water:
- Shorten our showers by a minute or two.
- Try not to let the tap run when brushing our teeth etc.
- Reuse water when we can, e.g. for gardening or cleaning.
- Check for undetected leaks at home and in school.
- Turn on the dishwasher and washing machine only when fully loaded.
- Use a bucket of water when cleaning the car.
We created a water saving pledge and a display of this as can be seen below. We really enjoyed our Water Explorer activity and look forward to the next one!